quarta-feira, agosto 15, 2007

Handel-Tamerlano, HWV18 -"A Dispetto.." - Derek Lee Ragin



Handel-Tamerlano, HWV18
Act III, Scene 4, aria 28
"A dispetto d'un volto ingrato"
(Andronico)

What I think is an outstanding live performance of a Handelian castrato aria, performed here by one of my most favorite male altos, Derek Lee Ragin. I admire his ability to voice-act with such intensity and expressiveness (which is not so common for his voice type) more than his coloratura abilities. I also love the way he combines his striking low range with his countertenor range.

I am not sure if this recital is on DVD but you can find a recorded version of this aria released as a 3 cd box set under Erato label, titled "Handel: Tamerlano" with English Baroque Soloists conducted by Elliot Gardiner. Other roles are sung by Nancy Argenta, Michael Chance, Jane Findlay and Nigel Robson.

Italian Text:

A dispetto d'un volto ingrato
Piu sdegnato gia s'agita il cor
E nel petto ai tumulti dell'alma
Puo dar calma il mio solo furor

English Translation:

To be scorned by an ungrateful countenance
Makes the heart beat more indignantly
And the tumult of my soul in my breast
Can only be soothed by my wrath (more)

0 Comentários:

Postar um comentário

Assinar Postar comentários [Atom]

<< Página inicial